|Quiz Coming Soon|
- 1. Glucose ATP! But how?!? Mrs. Jandy
- 2. So… for a quick recap • Cellular respiration! ADP + 6O2 + C6H12O6 6CO2 + 6H2O + ATP oxygen + glucose carbon + water +ENERGY! dioxide • So, cellular respiration turns glucose (chemical energy) in to ATP (usable energy)
- 3. Glucose ATP
- 4. • ATP is energy the cell can use to do work! • Like currency/money: Only this one molecule (ATP) is the right type of energy the cell can use • You can’t buy groceries in Apopka with Japanese ¥!!! • Energy is stored in the phosphate bonds • Energy is released when the phosphate bonds are broken ATP – Adenosine Triphosphate Adenosine diphosphate [ADP]
- 5. KNOW THIS SLIDE!!! ADP
- 6. In order to turn Glucose into ATP there are three steps! 1) Glycolysis 2) Krebs Cycle 3) Electron Transport Chain
- 7. Pause, Think, and Take Notes! • What is ATP? • Where is energy stored in ATP? • What are the three steps needed to turn glucose into ATP?
- 8. Pause, Think, and Take Notes! • What is ATP? ATP is the ONLY molecule that the cell can use for energy to do work • Where is energy stored in ATP? Energy from ATP is stored in the phosphate bonds • What are the three steps needed to turn glucose into ATP? Glycolysis, The Krebs Cycle, Electron Transport Chain
- 9. Glycolysis • Occurs in the Cytoplasm • No oxygen required • 1 glucose 2 pyruvate + 2 ATP + 2 high energy molecules (NADH) • BUT WE NEED MORE!!!!! ATP COUNT: 2
- 10. The Krebs Cycle • Occurs in the Mitochondria • Requires Oxygen • 2 pyruvates 2 ATP+ 8 high energy molecules (NADH, FADH) ATP COUNT: 4
- 11. Electron Transport Chain • Occurs in Mitochondria cell membrane • Requires Oxygen • 10 high energy molecules (NADH, FAD) 30 ATP • Uses enzyme called ATP Synthase ATP COUNT: 34
- 12. Let’s wrap it up! • Glycolysis, Krebs Cycle, and ETC… 1 glucose 34 ATP!!!!!
- 13. Anaerobic Respiration • What happens if we have to make ATP and don’t have oxygen??? • No Oxygen = Anaerobic Respiration! • Only GLYCOLYSIS can take place which makes 2 ATP! • Two kinds of anaerobic respiration • In animals- Produces 2 ATP + Lactic Acid (sore muscles!) • In yeast- Produces 2 ATP + Ethyl Alcohol (yes, that alcohol)
- 14. Aerobic Respiration • Have oxygen = Aerobic Respiration • What we do on a daily basis • Glycolysis, Krebs Cycle, and ETC can occur • Makes 34 ATP!
- 15. Anaerobic Respiration Aerobic Respiration No Oxygen Oxygen Makes Lactic acid or Alcohol Makes H2O and CO2 2 ATP 34 ATP
(Visited 95 times, 1 visits today)